Some links on this page may contain affiliate links which means that, if you choose to make a purchase using the link, Agricfy.com may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, go to our Affiliate Disclosure Page!
You won’t know the real pleasure of eating meat until you chew pork meat.
Many people don’t eat this meat, but a number of people enjoy and savor pork meat.
Pigs are farm animals and are raised for human consumption and commercial purposes.
Many people have created various pig farming sayings and quotes.
These quotes on pig farming try to explain the nature, advantages, disadvantages, and challenges facing pig farming.
Pigs are interesting animals, and pig farming has lots of benefits, but it also has some challenges too.
This article will consider
- What is pig farming?
- Types of pig farming
- Quotes on pig farming
Pig farming is the rearing of pigs for meat (pork) and skin.
As a part of animal husbandry, pig farming is very lucrative and has huge economic value.
Animal husbandry, according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, means
“a branch of agriculture concerned with the production and care of domestic animals”.
It also defines it as: “a kind of farming in which people raise animals for meat, milk, eggs, etc.”
Although some countries do not eat pork meat for cultural and religious reasons. However, pig farming is highly lucrative and pig consumption is growing worldwide.
Most farmers venture into pig farming because
- pigs grow and multiply rapidly.
- A female pig (sow) can give birth to 9–17 piglets at the same time.
- Pigs consume different types of food. In fact, pigs can eat anything ranging from kitchen waste, left-overs, garbage, etc.
- Pigs are highly resistant to diseases. Pigs can easily adapt to any weather condition.
- Running a pig farm is relatively easy.
- It only needs good management skills, a good site, and good equipment.
- It also depends on the type of pig farming a farmer will venture into.
- The feces of pigs are used as compost or manure for the soil.
Types of Pig Farming
There are different types of pig farming, which include
- free- range or extensive pig farming.
- semi-intensive pig farming
- intensive pig farming
Extensive Pig Farming
Pigs are allowed to graze in the open in this type of farming.
Pigs are placed in open areas and allowed to forage for food at their leisure, that is, without limitations or restrictions.
Semi-intensive Pig Farming
Farmers using this method keep and breed the pigs in a limited space.
The farmer supplies the pigs with basic necessities like food, water, and health care.
But at the same time, the farmers allow the pigs to graze, but only in a limited way.
This method is quite safer than extensive pig farming.
Intensive Pig Farming
This method is expensive but highly recommended for commercial purposes.
The pigs are kept in pens inside a chosen building.
The pens have trolls for water and food.
The pigs get adequate protection from harsh weather conditions like rain, sun, or snow.
The farmer also controls the spread of diseases and the dilemma of cross-breeding.
These quotes tell us a lot about pig farming.
No matter how stinky or disgusting a pig farm is, it is very important to note that pig farming is very lucrative.
These quotes on pig farming expose the highs and lows of pig farming.
They bring to light people’s views on pigs and pig farming.
While most people love pigs, some see them as dirty and dangerous.
Some quotes on pig farming are:
- “Looking at the pigs, all you may think of is how disgusting it looks, but pigs are much more than that”
“Truly, pigs are very intelligent and are a symbol of wealth and satisfaction”
“Pigs are very smart creatures”
– Shelly Duvvall
- “Pigs have great eyesight and an acute sense of smell”
- “Pigs prefer to wallow in clean mud, but if nothing else is available, they will frequently wallow in their own urine, giving rise to the notion that they are dirty”
– Marrin Harris
- “Pigs are stinky, and you don’t want to come close to them, but the pork meat is quite yummy”
- “It’s fine to eat and wholesome to digest as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm”
– Ambrose Bierce
- “The pig is an encyclopedic animal, a meal on legs”
– Grimond de la Reyniere
- “Pigs might not be gifted with great eyesight, but it’s their sense of smell that makes them unique. Pigs make their noses work to find food and other things” Kidadl.com
- “Pigs eat more tuna than all the planet’s sharks combined”
– Paul Watson
- “I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it”
– George Bernard Shaw
- “You can’t make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it, you can make a mighty fast pig”
– Bob Akin
- “A pig today will be a pig tomorrow and will remain a pig forever… used to the idea, but don’t copy its manners”
- “People are told not to buy a pig in a poke—that may or may not be true. I don’t think people should buy pigs at all”
– Oscar Wilde’s
These quotes show the unique nature, eating habits, and general feelings about pig farming.
It is true that hams, nice meals, grilled pork, and sausages are made from pig meat and remain some people’s favorites.
But the pig remains the same.
It wallows in mud and dirt and eats anything it is not properly taken care of.
Pig farming remains the best way to rear healthy and clean pigs.
Because of their unique nature, many people are unable to keep pigs as pets.
Quotes on pig farming expose us to the real nature of pigs.
Pigs, by their nature, are dirty and stinky, but when pigs are put in intensive care, it helps maintain proper hygiene and sanitation.
These quotes on pig farming further encourage farmers that, despite all odds, pig farming remains one of the most lucrative and highly productive forms of animal husbandry.